Topic: A typesetting question.
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 10:12 AM

James Waldby

Re: A typesetting question.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 15:02:39 +0000, Frederick Williams wrote:

> In something like "Church-Turing thesis", what is that "-"?
> Specifically, am I right in thinking that in TeX is should be "--" and
> not "-"? If Church-Turing was one person with a hyphenated surname,
> then it would be"-", right?

Yes, although some sources say differently, according to wikipedia at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#Relationships_and_connections>:

A "simple" attributive compound is written with a hyphen; at least one
authority considers name pairs, where the paired elements carry equal
weight, as in the Taft-Hartley Act to be "simple",[11] while others
consider an en dash appropriate in instances such as this[14][15][16]
to represent the parallel relationship, as in the McCain?Feingold bill
or Bose?Einstein statistics. However, truly compound names are written
with a hyphen, thus the Lennard-Jones potential is named after one
person, while Bose and Einstein are two people.

<http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~rdale/resources/writingnotes/latexstyle.html#dashes>
has a table showing latex -, $-$, --, --- for dash, minus, en-dash, and
em-dash, respectively

--
jiw