Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.

Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 8:26 PM

David Bernier

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.

On 02/17/2013 05:39 PM, David Bernier wrote:
> On 02/17/2013 04:36 PM, bob haller wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 12:28 pm, "DonH"<donlhumphr...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>> "Robert Clark"<rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> # So, is there any evidence that the meteor "pealed off" from the
>>> asteroid,
>>> or that there is some connection between the two - apart from
>>> coincidence of
>>> occurrence?

>> Think of playing pool, in a larger sense thats where we live.
>>
>> The two may not be releated, but could be, as part of some collisions
>> perhaps before any of us were born.....
>>
>> Its possible our earth may be in a area of space with more litter than
>> usual.
>>
>> People will get more interested if we get more incoming. Or nasa
>> tracks the one that missed and finds its perturbed by earths gravity
>> and will be back to impact somewhere on our planet

> Meteor showers like the Perseids have a so-called radiant
> point in Perseus, from which they trace back. This is
> because the fragments are travelling in parallel directions
> w.r.t. the "fixed" solar system and the earth passes through
> this bunch of objects whose orbits "intersect" earth's
> orbit at one point in the yearly cycle.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiant_%28meteor_shower%29
>
> For the Russian meteor, by tracing back all the paths,
> perhaps one could locate its radiant on the celestial
> sphere along an arc of great circle.
>
> So, that in turn would constrain the direction in
> space of the meteor's velocity vector w.r.t. the
> fixed solar system just before it hit earth.
>
> So, the idea is to learn more about the direction of travel
> of the Russian meteor w.r.t. the solar system, to compare
> it with the velocity vector of the asteroid ...
>
> David Bernier

The video below linked was made by a graphic animation
company:
http://www.crazyengineers.com/russian-meteors-path-tracked-by-computer-simulation/

It shows the meteor coming from ? towards

Chelyabinsk. North is exactly at the top ...

The path is roughly from East-North-East to North-East.

Also, the earth rotated between 9:20 am Chelyabinsk time
and the time of the closest approach of asteroid
2012 DA14.

Also, the path above earth of the meteor wont show
the angle of descent: the meteor was falling.

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID