Topic: Puzzle in the history of maths
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 24, 2013 6:17 PM

Paul

Re: Puzzle in the history of maths

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:13:40 PM UTC, Frederick Williams wrote:

> When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
>
> this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
>
> Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

A complete digression but your sig doesn't really apply to maths, does it? As far as I can gather, everyone who we think of as a great mathematician was considered great (or close to it) by the contemporaries. Or are there examples of mathematicians who were ridiculed during their lives but with reputations rehabilitated afterwards. I suppose Galois might be an example.

Paul