Topic: A bug-looking behavior during integration
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 3, 2013 10:58 PM

Scott Hemphill

Re: A bug-looking behavior during integration

daniel.lichtblau0@gmail.com writes:

[snip]

> Yes, it looks like this runs into some fragility in the UnitStep handling code. To work around that area I'd suggest using a Piecewise equivalent.
>
> In[2]:= Integrate[
> Piecewise[{{1, Sqrt[Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] + x] - .7*Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] >= 0}},
> 0], {x, -Infinity, Infinity}, {y, -Infinity, Infinity}]
>
> Out[2]= 19.6268

Or, replacing the ".7" with 7/10, you get:

15000 Pi
2401

Scott
--
Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear