Topic: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using
the arrow

Replies: 16   Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 1:53 PM

Doug Schwarz

Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow

In article <kgtsph$3sf$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> wrote:

> On 3/2/2013 3:18 PM, Doug Schwarz wrote:
>

> > Think of it this way: the way it is now you can get what
> > you want,

> No. The way it is now is NOT what I want. That is the point.

You misunderstand me and I should be more clear. I realize the way it
works now is not *exactly* what you want or else why would you have
written your complaint? But you can get what you want simply by
rounding the slider value in the callback function. You want two levels
of granularity and you can have them.

I want three levels of granularity: major step, minor step, and whatever
you get by moving the slider by one pixel. If your suggested change is
made in the fundamental workings of the slider, it will be impossible
for me to get what I want.

Therefore, you are asking for the slider to have *less* functionality
than it does now.

[snip]

> But a simple solution can exist: Have an option in the API to this
> UIcontrol to specify which way it should behave.

That would be fine as long as the default is the current behavior.

> So those who want deterministic behavior can choose that, and those
> who do not can choose that.
>
> Currently the way it works is broken IMNSHO. It forces the
> user who wants the slider to move only by certain minimum steps
> to do rounding on their end, when this was what the minor/major
> steps settings was supposed to do.

I think you're overstating your case. It's a minor problem at most,
with a trivial workaround.

--
Doug Schwarz
dmschwarz&ieee,org

Date Subject Author
3/1/13
Read Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using
the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
matt dash
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Steven Lord