Topic: . "R.L. Moore - Pioneer of Math Education Reform #2 - To Be
Transmitted to American Math Forum & NYC-Hold

Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 19, 2013 5:07 PM

Greg Goodknight

Re: . "R.L. Moore - Pioneer of Math Education Reform #2 - To Be Transmitted
to American Math Forum & NYC-Hold

att1.html (18.2 K)

On 04/18/2013 06:59 PM, Wayne Bishop wrote:
> Phil Daro? I first met him (and on a regular basis) in 1988 and many
> times thereafter either in person or electronically. For Prof. Hake to
> imply his position, and endorsed by Alan Schoenfeld, as some kind of
> middle ground pretty well says it all.

Reading it more carefully, it isn't claiming Daro (an architect of the
constructivist math wave that hobbled a generation in California
beginning in the mid-'90's) was the middle ground, but rather Daro made
a proposal that, to him, seemed a middle ground that could be sold. It
appeared to me they expected it would be advantageous for them in the
long run.

Given Daro is a key figure in the "Common Core" math 'standards', it
does appear past failures have not harmed his career.

-Greg