Topic: An easy-to-state and hard-to-prove geometric result
Replies: 12   Last Post: Apr 21, 2013 8:00 AM

G. A. Edgar

Re: An easy-to-state and hard-to-prove geometric result

In article <a0c36328-80c7-4c57-a2b7-89f188d712d7@googlegroups.com>,
<pepstein5@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I understood him correctly (note the if), someone told me that Bill
> Thurston proved that R^3 can be partitioned into disjoint circles. (Of
> course, the number of such circles has to be uncountable.)
> I would be interested to know more about this. Does anyone know a reference?
> Can anyone say anything about the techniques involved in the proof? If the
> statement is wrong, does anyone know the correct statement?
> Thank You,
> Paul Epstein

See this page:
Hint at the top, solution at the bottom.

G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/