Topic: Re: Grading Regents Proofs
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jun 20, 2013 7:57 AM

Evan Romer

Re: Grading Regents Proofs

Our interpretation of "teachers may not grade their own tests" is
that Geometry teachers (for example) can't have any input on how to
grade the Geometry test. If the teachers scoring a question go ask a
Geo teacher for input, or if the Geo teacher writes an answer key to
guide their grading, then the Geo teacher is participating in the
grading, which I think is a no-no. A pretty serious no-no. Our
interpretation.

That's frustrating to all of us, because it does make it harder to
grade students' papers fairly. We don't want the student doing
something a certain way all year and have it accepted, and then lose a
point or more on the Regents for doing it the same way.

Our solution to this is that on Tuesday we decided that if there is a
proof we'll assign it to me and a retired Geo teacher to score. (We
score in pairs.) Then at lunch today I sat down with the two Geo
teachers for half an hour and went through some sample proofs, how do
you teach adding segments, how do you do getting right angles
congruent, what are your expectations for what reasons should look
like, how do you do CPCTC, is there anything else your students may do
that we need to be aware of ...? And while we're at it, is there
anything else aside from proofs that is unusual or that we need to
know about? Very helpful (and interesting conversation). Including, I
would expect x on my classroom tests, but on the Regents we would
accept y. By having that conversation ahead of time, they're not
helping to grade a specific question: they're helping the graders
understand how it was taught. Once the test has been opened and the
Geo teachers have seen the questions, then they're out of the picture.

We'll see how this works out in practice tomorrow.

BTW, one teacher doesn't use "CPCTC" at all in that form. Her students
write, "If 2 triangles are congruent then their corresponding parts
are congruent." Nice!

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS
Conklin NY