Topic: Beal's Conjecture Definition correct?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 7:54 PM

G. A. Edgar

Re: Beal's Conjecture Definition correct?

In article <80157950-0df3-4e72-962d-e3aa13a2fa24@googlegroups.com>,
Andre Bruton <andrebruton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:58:57 PM UTC+2, Peter Percival wrote:

> > > We got the following solution.
> > Meaning what by 'solution'? Conjectures are proved or refuted (or
> > neither, so far at least).

> Having a solution means it's proved in my books...??? Must I have some other
> proof?

> > > Does this apply to the rules (if we understand them correctly)
> > The conjecture says that if A^x + B^y = C^z with x, y, z > 2 then A, B,
> > C have a common prime factor. In your case the common prime factor is 2.

> Ok, so there is a common prime factor. What is missing? I don't get your
> statement..?

So, they have verified the conjecture in one case. But of course there
are infinitely many cases that must be verified in order to prove the

G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/