Topic: surface area of pdedemo3
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jul 2, 2013 4:16 PM

Steven Finch

Re: surface area of pdedemo3

Alan_Weiss <aweiss@mathworks.com> wrote in message <kqcjfk$ffg$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I imagine that it is easier and less error-prone to use Bill Greene's
> suggestion rather than my special-purpose triangle summation function.

Running the following code in Matlab R2013a:

format long
tArea = pdetrg(p,t);
surfaceArea = sqrt(1 + ux.^2 + uy.^2)*tArea';

gives 3.82697... as an estimate for the surface area
(all five digits of which agree with Ken Brakke's
"Surface Evolver" software). I am thankful to
Alan Weiss and Bill Greene for their generous help.

Steve Finch