Topic: Using Rap to Learn Science
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 9:15 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Using Rap to Learn Science

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 9, 2013 4:41 AM:

> On Jul 8, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > What would you have a geometry teacher do when
> facing a student who didn't master completing the
> square in his past? I say 'let him sing the darn
> song!
>
> I would teach him how to complete the square.
>
> Why isn't that your first and only answer? What the
> heck good is the song going to do this kid?

So how would you go about teaching a student who hadn't been able to master 'completing the square' because he/she had already been turned of all of math by previous incompetent and ineffective 'teaching'?

Why isn't it your first and only answer that you'd try to find out just WHY that student had been unable to master 'completing the square' - WHY he/she had been turned off the very idea of math?

Is it that he/she is 'intellectually incapable' to master 'completing the square' - or is the underlying problem something else entirely?

In your own words, what the heck good is any more 'conventional teaching' going to do for that student? (More of the same stuff that had already turned him/her off is clearly not going to work!!)

Why is it that you seem to be unable to comprehend this simple point?

By the way, in case you are thinking of making any false claims, I'm NOT suggesting that "rap is the way to reach that student". I AM suggesting that the teacher has to be able to find out just WHY a particular student may have a negative attitude to math - and then the teacher may well be able to work out a practical means to help overcome that attitude. THEN it may become possible for that student to master 'completing the square'.

The argument above made is simple enough - ONLY 'common sense' is required to comprehend its validity. (Rap has nothing to do with it).

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
[...]