Topic: Matheology § 300
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 7, 2013 6:43 PM

Roland Franzius

Re: Matheology § 300

Am 07.07.2013 03:20, schrieb Ralf Bader:
> Am 07/06/2013 02:43 PM, schrieb mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de:
>> (For if one person can see it
>> as a paradise of mathematicians, why should not another see it as a
>> joke?)
>>
>> The curse of the invasion of mathematics by mathematical logic is that
>> now any proposition can be represented in a mathematical symbolism,
>> and this makes us feel obliged to understand it. Although of course
>> this method of writing is nothing but the translation of vague
>> ordinary prose.

What may be the meaning of "curse" in this sentence? A Freudian slip?

>> "Mathematical logic" has completely deformed the thinking of
>> mathematicians and of philosophers,
>>
>> Set theory is wrong.
>>
>> I believe, and I hope, that a future generation will laugh at this
>> hocus pocus.
>>
>> Yes, we do (WM)

[.. ]

> But here is another problem. I asked my computer to search the text of
> Wittgenstein's lectures for some strings. Result:
> "atirist" 0 hits
> "arody" 0 hits
> "incorporated" 0 hits
> "paradise" 4 hits, 3 on p.99, 1 on p.103, 0 with your alleged context
> "joke" 1 hit on p.169, not in your alleged context
> "curse" 0 hits
> "deformed" 0 hits
> "laugh" 1 hit on p.32, not in your alleged context
> "hocus" 0 hits
> The software detects strings extending over linebreaks. I hope in your
> interest that you can provide a substantiated explanation for this.

As we all know, he is not even able, as a lecturer, to cite the standard
definition of continuity in a logical correct sentence.

Perhaps one of those guys who write their university notes backward with
erratic jumps forward in some way and blaming their teachers.

--

Roland Franzius