Topic: Math history, origin of the exponentiation/raised/power sign x^y?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jul 23, 2013 7:53 AM

G. A. Edgar

Re: Math history, origin of the exponentiation/raised/power sign x^y?

In article <4654d2db-98d6-4e63-ab5d-38c084eba08d@googlegroups.com>,
Dick <DBatchelo1@aol.com> wrote:

> On Monday, July 22, 2013 7:26:04 AM UTC-4, jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote:
> > In what culture did it origin, and what is the earliest known use of ^ sign
> > in math? Has it always had the the base to the left and exponent to the
> > right? If find myself often write it the other way, but i am just confused
> > i guess ;)

> It was used in FORTRAN. I believe this was earlier than Algol

Early FORTRAN used x**y; only much later versions did allowed x^y in
addition.

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/