Topic: Haros (Charles) employé au Cadastre de

Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 4, 2013 4:26 AM

David Bernier

Re: Haros (Charles) employé au Cadastre d
e Paris.

On 08/04/2013 01:04 AM, David Bernier wrote:
> In a periodical that listed French authors by name, with a list
> of their works, I found an entry for:
> Haros (Charles) employé au Cadastre de Paris.
> This is around 1802, after Haros wrote the general
> public book or booklet:
> "Instructions abregees aux nouvelles mesures" (metric system).
> The periodical listing French authors was updated
> from time to time to show new books, new editions,
> change of job, or date of decease.
> "La France littéraire contenant les auteurs français de
> 1771 à 1796, Volume 5", 1806 by Johann Samuel Ersch. [ with additions]
> At Google Books:
> < http://books.google.ca/books?id=BuwOAAAAQAAJ > .
> dave

I think this below seems very good as a reference on the employees at
the Bureau du Cadastre, where Prony's project of a "great table"
of logarithms was housed around 1791-1802. In the end, the
"great tables" were only in manuscript. Also, the Bureau du Cadastre
was dissolved in 1802 (under Napoleon). It seems the "great tables"
were something of a white elephant, just too big ...

by Jean Louis Peaucelle:
"Personnes ayant participé aux travaux
du bureau du Cadastre de octobre 1791 à mars 1802",
April 2011.

Charles H. Haros, mathématicien au bureau du
Cadastre de octobre 1794 à mars 1802.

I learnt that Haros is listed as a calculator in Connaissance des Tems
(Nautical Almanac of France) for the calendar year 1805 (planetary
positions, moon alamnac, eclipses, etc. for A.D. 1805). In fact,
I downloaded Connaissance des Tems for 1805. Lalande Sr. was the head,
with Lalande (nephew) on the team.

Connaissance des Tems was published by Bureau des Longitudes.

Jean-Louis Peaucelle, who wrote the April 2011 list referred to
above, says that Haros moved from the Cadastre to the
Bureau des Longitudes starting sometime in/after 1802.

Peaucelle mentions sources like this:
Sources : AN F/1bI/44, ENPC Ms 2213 (1) et (2)

AN : archives?
Ms : manuscript (or non-published document ...) ?

With Google search, keywords =
peaucelle2011collaborateurs.pdf cadastre locomat.loria.fr