Topic: Haros (Charles) employé au Cadastre de
Paris.

Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 4, 2013 4:26 AM

David Bernier

Re: Haros (Charles) employé au Cadastre d
e Paris.

On 08/04/2013 02:29 AM, David Bernier wrote:
> On 08/04/2013 01:04 AM, David Bernier wrote:
>> In a periodical that listed French authors by name, with a list
>> of their works, I found an entry for:
>> Haros (Charles) employé au Cadastre de Paris.
>>
>> This is around 1802, after Haros wrote the general
>> public book or booklet:
>> "Instructions abregees aux nouvelles mesures" (metric system).
>>
>> The periodical listing French authors was updated
>> from time to time to show new books, new editions,
>> change of job, or date of decease.
>>
>> "La France littéraire contenant les auteurs français de
>> 1771 à 1796, Volume 5", 1806 by Johann Samuel Ersch. [ with additions]
>>
>> At Google Books:
>> < http://books.google.ca/books?id=BuwOAAAAQAAJ > .
>>
>> dave
>>

> I think this below seems very good as a reference on the employees at
> the Bureau du Cadastre, where Prony's project of a "great table"
> of logarithms was housed around 1791-1802. In the end, the
> "great tables" were only in manuscript. Also, the Bureau du Cadastre
> was dissolved in 1802 (under Napoleon). It seems the "great tables"
> were something of a white elephant, just too big ...
>
> by Jean Louis Peaucelle:
> "Personnes ayant participé aux travaux
> du bureau du Cadastre de octobre 1791 à mars 1802",
> April 2011.
> Peaucelle:
>
> Charles H. Haros, mathématicien au bureau du
> Cadastre de octobre 1794 à mars 1802.
>
> --
>
> I learnt that Haros is listed as a calculator in Connaissance des Tems
> (Nautical Almanac of France) for the calendar year 1805 (planetary
> positions, moon alamnac, eclipses, etc. for A.D. 1805). In fact,
> I downloaded Connaissance des Tems for 1805. Lalande Sr. was the head,
> with Lalande (nephew) on the team.
>
> Connaissance des Tems was published by Bureau des Longitudes.
>
> Jean-Louis Peaucelle, who wrote the April 2011 list referred to
> above, says that Haros moved from the Cadastre to the
> Bureau des Longitudes starting sometime in/after 1802.
>
> Peaucelle mentions sources like this:
> Sources : AN F/1bI/44, ENPC Ms 2213 (1) et (2)
>
> AN : archives?
> Ms : manuscript (or non-published document ...) ?
>
> Cf.:
> peaucelle2011collaborateurs.pdf
>
> With Google search, keywords =
> peaucelle2011collaborateurs.pdf cadastre locomat.loria.fr

Scott B. Guthery, wrote a book,
"A Motif of Mathematics: History and Application of the
Mediant and the Farey Sequence"
on Haros, Farey series,
computations of tables around 1800 and after in France,
Britain, etc..

I didn't find any typos in French names.
[ I inadvertently found en electronic version somewhere ].

dave

--
new:
http://sci.math.narkive.com/