Topic: Re: Learning for Understanding
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 13, 2013 10:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Learning for Understanding

Robert Hansen (RH) posted ug 10, 2013 7:27 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2585741):

> What you wrote is what Wayne is referring to as
> "religion". Realists =
> utilize observation, fact and reasoning to see the
> truth, while you, =
> instead, spend your time making up a truth. In doing
> so, you chose =
> truths that are *nicer* (to yourself) rather than
> more reasonable and =
> certainly rather than more real. And, like all
> religion, you profess =
> that the reason your truth isn't the observable truth
> is that the world =
> is full of sinners and that these sinners *must* be
> dealt with.

Thank you for your wise observations, RH.

As the 'realist nonpareil', the original member of the club that believes "Children must be PUSHED (not ENCOURAGED) to learn math" we shall all immediately adopt your wonderful slogan and use it to PUSH (not ENCOURAGE) everyone to do everything. (This is not religion, of course).

If that doesn't succeed, we shall:

"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (This is not religion, of course).

And of THAT doesn't succeed either, we shall:

"BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (This is not religion either, of course).

(And we shall thereby live happily ever after).

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")