Topic: Re: Please help, I need professional advice.
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 19, 2013 2:22 PM

bill wickes

RE: Please help, I need professional advice.
att1.html (6.5 K)

Does anyone utilize a semester strategy where math classes are completed in
one semester with 75 minute periods..it worked out for the honors geometry
kids, but was a disaster for everyone else.Bill

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org]
On Behalf Of Evelyne Stalzer
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 11:06 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: Please help, I need professional advice.

Regarding scheduling two math periods:

We do have double periods for math for our Algebra I freshmen. The more
advanced students have moved into Geometry, so these are students that need
some extra help, and the double period gives us more time for practice,
projects, tests, activities, etc. It is a bit of a challenge, as interest
and energy flag about halfway through the second period. It helps to plan
the lessons with that in mind, and to incorporate some changes in the
routine, whether it's moving in and out of groups or doing a more physical
activity. Sometimes I did a brain teaser break, or a math relay race, or a
tower building challenge.

Evelyne Stalzer

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Lisa Blank <lblank@lymecsd.org> wrote:

Hi Adam,
My concern would be burn out. The lessons would have to be very engaging to
keep kids interested.
I hope all is well with you!
Lisa

Lisa Blank
Math & Science Teacher/Technology Coordinator
Lyme Central School
P.O. Box 219
11868 Academy Street
Chaumont, NY 13622
phone: (315)649-2417 <tel:%28315%29649-2417>
fax: (315)649-2812 <tel:%28315%29649-2812>
lblank@lymecsd.org

>>> Adam Staab <ajstaab@twcny.rr.com> 08/19/13 07:03 AM >>>

I posted this in the nymsmath, but I would appreciate anyone's advice...

Our district is planning on implementing an acceleration program next year
for our 8th grade math students that would consist of them taking 8th grade
math Common Core using the modules and taking Algebra 1 Common Core using
the modules. They would be scheduled math for two periods in a day, one
period they would go through the Math 8 curriculum and the second period
they would go through the Algebra 1 curriculum. Please let me know if you
think this is a good idea, bad idea, and/or share any of your thoughts.
*

Pursuant to School Board policy and administrative procedures, this e-mail
system is the property of the Lyme Central School and to be used for
official business only. In addition, all users are cautioned that messages
sent through this system are subject to the Public Records Law of the State
of New York and also to review by the school system. There should be no
expectation of privacy.

*