Topic: x-axis has too many tick lables
Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 29, 2013 9:38 AM

dpb

Re: x-axis has too many tick lables

On 8/28/2013 3:37 PM, Larry Rose wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kvlh1g$enf$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>> On 8/28/2013 1:47 PM, Larry Rose wrote:
>> > hello,
>> > Does someone know a command to limit the number of x-axis tick labels?
>> > So, could limit the number of labels to a specific number of labels. I
>> > have too many so I can't even read them unless I enlarge the graph.
>> > please advise.

>> Not specifically a command, no...use the 'xtick' and/or 'xticklabel'
>> properties to set the number/values.
>>
>> To cut them in half, for example,
>>
>> xt=get(gca,'xtick'); % get the current ones
>> xt(1:2:end)=[]; % wipe out every other one
>> set(gca,'xtick',xt) % and replace w/ updated
>>
>> Innumerable variations upon a theme are possible, of course...
>>
>> --
>>

> Thanks to both of you guys, yes I see this logic should work , but when
> I actually chart the item is using the middle date for the end date of
> the x axis?
>
> I used your guys command below:
> xt=get(gca,'xtick'); % get the current ones
> xt(1:2:end)=[]; % wipe out every other one
> set(gca,'xtick',xt) % and replace w/ updated
>
> it does cut down on the amount of tick labels, but it is only charting
> up to the middle tickmark and treating that as the end point.
> not sure why

Works here...show code that doesn't...

>> xt=get(gca,'xtick')
xt =
0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0
>> xt(2:2:end)=[]
xt =
0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0000
>> set(gca,'xtick',xt)

I get ticks a the above locations from left to right axis.

Oh, I notice you mention 'date' -- you haven't done something like
'keepticks' with datetick() perchance? That likely would screw up the
above ploy...