Topic: Accelerated 8th graders/ Algebra Regents
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 17, 2013 6:09 AM

GPJ

From: Broome County
Registered: 10/3/11
RE: Accelerated 8th graders/ Algebra Regents

Hi Patty,
I think that is the hardest question in math.
I have not seen guidance/advice from State Ed or Common Core Inc. So... here are my thoughts...

There are many possibilities, and it's so late to consider any could be seamlessly done this year. But if something is better than nothing here's what I've seen: ** these are not approved, validated, or endorsed by anyone important** Just me and some teachers who I ran it by in our region.

Plan A:
8th Grade Curriculum in 1/2 year
Algebra 2nd 1/2 year
Pros: One teacher, one year. One super (overloaded) teacher incorporating focus standards, cohesion across topics, etc.
Cons: High rigor even for accelerated students, now compressed. Student growth measure likely focused only on 8th grade standards. Modules released currently (9/12/13) are limited to first 25 days of instruction and testing.

Plan A2:
Same as above, but students meet for two periods of math per day.
Pros: Module lesson can be given with more fidelity. Engaging activities preserved through a more comfortable pace.
Cons: Scheduling, math overload?, etc.

Plan B Spread the Love
Middle school topics spread out so every teacher is teaching 1/3 (1/2) more content than curriculum to allow 8th grade be part 8th grade and part Algebra
Pros: Work spread out more fairly.
Cons: Cohesion drops depending on team, review time from summer amnesia, multiple teachers affected by Student Growth measures will be misaligned to actual learning for multiple teachers.

Plan C: HS Compression
Pros: Many schools comfortable with having a math double up (Alg+Geo) or (Geo+ Alg 2).
Cons: MS students still need the option to take a HS regents math course.

Here are the module topics I looked at when I tried to see if there where units/topics close enough to combine for both courses, such as Equations (8th) and Functions (9th). But otherwise they were hard for me to mesh and not treat as two separate courses.

8th Grade
Exponents and Sci Notation
Congruence
Similarity
Linear Equations
Functions from Geometry
Linear Functions
Intro to Irrationals in Geometry

Algebra
Graphs and Equations
Stats
Linear and Exponent functions
Polynomial and quadratic
Modeling equations and functions

Sorry for the dissertation, but I've been trying to figure out a good option,
I have pretty slides for anyone who wants to improve on my thinking or have other plans to solve this dilemma.
Thanks all,
Gene Jordan
AMTNYS County Chair