Topic: Could 0^0=0? Maybe!
Replies: 10   Last Post: Sep 27, 2013 7:54 PM

Dan Christensen

Re: Could 0^0=0? Maybe!

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:54:14 AM UTC-4, dull...@sprynet.com wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 14:24:54 -0700 (PDT), Dan Christensen
>
> <Dan_Christensen@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

> >As taught in high schools and many university courses, 0^0 is undefined.
>

> Does the phrase "beating a dead horse" mean anything to you?

I don't think any other topic has inspired as much heated debate in online math forums, but I think this may be a new approach to the problem. These days, the usual rationale for the historical practice of leaving 0^0 undefined is based on the use of path-dependent limits. See for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Zero_to_the_power_of_zero

I think of have shown that you don't need all the machinery of real analysis to justify this practice -- ordinary natural number arithmetic is quite up to the job.

Dan