Topic: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Replies: 23   Last Post: Oct 1, 2013 3:22 PM

JT

Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)

Den måndagen den 30:e september 2013 kl. 23:55:09 UTC+2 skrev Michael F. Stemper:
> On 09/30/2013 04:14 PM, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:

> >> The smallest base for a numeric orthography for the natural numbers N = {0, 1, 2, 3, ... } is 2. Of
>
> >> necessity, any positional system has to either include a symbol for
>
> 0 or a representation of 0 formed
>

> >> of the other symbols. Since the base can only be positive (lest
>
> negative be represented), then 0 has
>

> >> to be a symbol.
>

> > Really???
>

> > But what about bijective ternary below, why would it need zero?
>

> > BASE 3 BELOW
>
> > Dec = NyaNTern=StandardTern
>

> > 1 =1 01
>
> > 2 =2 02
>

> [snip]
>

> > 21 =133 9+9+3 210
>

> > Why would this encoding scheme need 0?
>

> Look at the set that federation2005 is discussing:
>
> N = {0, 1, 2, 3, ...}
>

> Your system does not include a representation for 0.
>

> If you don't care about 0, that's fine. But, then you're not
>
> representing N, you're representing the counting numbers, which

Well actually here i represented the counting numbers but i intend to represent the reals using the system.

> were addressed in the next paragraph of federation2005's post:

Well if he state that the set of naturals contain 0 in the definition of set, i really do not see why he has to point out the necessity of zero.

> >> For the counting numbers { 1, 2, 3, ... } the smallest base is 1. That
>
> >> does not require any 0. Nor does any other base. For base 10, for
>
> >> instance, the digits would have the values 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
>
> and 10.
>
> --
>
> Michael F. Stemper
>
> No animals were harmed in the composition of this message.

Date Subject Author
9/30/13
Read Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
Rock Brentwood
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
Michael F. Stemper
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
10/1/13
Read base-one accounting for
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Michael F. Stemper
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Karl-Olav Nyberg