Topic: How can I solve a system of nonlinear equations AND partial differential equations?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 2, 2013 2:32 PM

Alan Weiss

Re: How can I solve a system of nonlinear equations AND partial differential
equations?

On 10/2/2013 9:34 AM, Roya wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have a system of nonlinear equations that need to be solved
> simultaneously. The result of these equations, then is needed to be
> incorporated to a system of PDEs. I know that for the first part I can
> use "Fsolve", and for the second one I can use "pdetool" but I don't
> know if i want to link them, that is solve all the equations as one
> system, how that would be possible.

I am not sure exactly what you mean. Is it really possible to first
solve the nonlinear equations, then feed the result into PDE functions?
If so, then I think you should do it that way, because solving a larger
simultaneous equation-PDE system is bound to take more time and memory.

And "pdetool" is the graphical user interface for the PDE functions. You
can certainly do everything at the command line if you like, and that
might make it easier to "glue" the two problems together, the nonlinear
equations and the PDE. Take a look at the PDE Problem Setup section of
the documentation:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/pde/index.html

Alan Weiss