Topic: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 9, 2013 10:23 AM

David Bernier

Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane

On 10/06/2013 06:14 PM, quasi wrote:
> David Bernier wrote:
>> David Bernier wrote:

>>> I mentally checked quasi's proof for n = 4, to test
>>> a concrete case.
>>>
>>> I see that quasi used a proof by contradiction,
>>> in assuming that: chi(G-v) < n,
>>> and then derived a contradiction from there.
>>> That then shows that chi(G-v) = n.
>>>
>>> Also the hypothesis/notation chi(G) = n (just to be clear
>>> to all) means that the graph G can be colored with
>>> n colors, but can't be colored with less than n
>>> colors.
>>>
>>> Similarly, deg(v) stands for the degree of a vertex v
>>> of the graph G, defined for example here:
>>>
>>> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_%28graph_theory%29 > .

>> I believe the quoted statement below is true, based
>> on quasi's theorem

> I wouldn't call it quasi's theorem.
>
> I'm sure the result is well known. Moreover, since the proof
> is really easy, I would regard it as more of an exercise than
> a theorem.

I know what you mean. That is why I put a lower-case t
in "theorem". I could change things to:
"the basic fact proved by quasi".

David Bernier
--
Let us all be paranoid. More so than no such agence, Bolon Yokte K'uh
willing.

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
Read cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
cotpi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Pubkeybreaker
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mike Terry
10/6/13
[...]
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Phil Carmody
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Eric Lafontaine
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Michael F. Stemper
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Haran Pilpel
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Ted Schuerzinger
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mark Brader
10/3/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
William Elliot