Topic: AP Calculus Question
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 12:12 PM

bill wickes

RE: AP Calculus Question

Evan...for as tough as it sounds to double up or switch, how about skipping
precalculus going to AP and not having passed the alg/2 trig exam...been
there done that....BW

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org]
On Behalf Of Evan Romer
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:25 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: AP Calculus Question

We allow students to double up in Precalc and AP Calc (with teacher
recommendation). We have 1 to 3 do this each year. Only in rare cases (twice
in 18 years?) have we allowed students to skip Precalc (for example, can't
fit Precalc into their schedule AND he or she is a very able student). Even
doubling up, they have gaps, and as the AP teacher every so often I have to
tell the doubler(s) they need to come in to learn a topic they haven't seen
yet -- and as students, they have to be willing to come in for help when
needed, even when there isn't a clear-cut gap but they feel they're not
getting something.

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS
Conklin NY

On Oct 9, 2013, at 6:07PM, luisahaw@aol.com wrote:

> Hi. I know many of you are busy and overwhelmed with the Common Core
> so I do appreciate input or advice.
>
> I was wondering under what circumstances do other NY schools allow
> students to take Algebra 2 Trig , skip a Pre Calculus course, and take
> AP Calculus either as a junior or senior? My school offers 2 different
> Pre Calculus ( I teach the IB one) course so there is a math course
> students can take that really prepares students for advanced algebra
> and allow them to take AP Calc in their senior year. There seems to
> be a debate at my school and, as a pre calculus teacher, I am on the
> loosing end of it . I tend to worry often, but with the Common Core,
> won't their be gaps in concepts (such as Trigonometry) to prepare
> students for the rigor of Calculus. Thanks for your input!
> Luisa Duerr
> Binghamton High School
> an IB Diploma School

*