Topic: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Nov 5, 2013 1:45 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
att1.html (1.4 K)

Actually maybe we got through but I am pretty sure most people who are not math teachers would say they did not understand math
I can honestly say my students understand math much better than I did in high school even though I pretty much had 100 on most math tests back then thanks to the graphing calc and the ability to really connect through the rule of four
Liz

Elizabeth Waite

-----Original Message-----
From: MsEdFun <MsEdFun@aol.com>
To: nyshsmath <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Sent: Thu, Oct 24, 2013 08:22 AM
Subject: Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?

If you want to talk about 'how not to think' then let's chuck the graphing calculators in the garbage and take away the formula sheets that are provided on the regents. When I was in school, we didn't receive any of this support, and somehow, we all got through (and quite handsomely I might add). Sheesh......I still remember using logarithm charts, trig tables, and finding square roots THE LONG WAY! Was it so terrible? Maybe I thought so at the time - but at least I had to THINK and ANALYZE. Gee....where have I heard about that recently?

Tzippy

Date Subject Author
10/22/13
Read Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/22/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jessica Walter
10/23/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
ElizWaite@aol.com
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Math4you
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jeff Richards
10/23/13
Read Re: RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
GPJ