Topic: is free will an illusion?
Replies: 21   Last Post: Oct 29, 2013 4:09 PM

Paul

Re: is free will an illusion?

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:29:21 PM UTC+1, David Bernier wrote:
> It seems as though our neurones and synapses do our thinking, and
>
> the evidence for this is from the neuro-sciences.
>

> Do you think you have a choice when faced with two or more
>
> options?

Since I live in a fairly small town, the Italian takeaway is often nearly empty when I go there, so the almost-empty car park gives me lots of opportunity to exert the free will to choose my parking space.

I genuinely find the huge degree of choice between the so-closely-matching spaces somewhat stressful, and I laboriously exert my free will as I go through my thought processes. "I can't park here because this spot looks too convenient to be true. If there wasn't some problem with the space, someone else would have parked there. I can't park there because it's too far from the restaurant. I can't park there because it's too close to the restaurant, and I don't want people staring at me when I leave the car." Eventually I settle on a space, wondering how I chose exactly that space. Then it dawns on me that I used exactly the same reasoning the last time I went there and chose exactly that same space.
This convinces me that this decision-by-free-will was really an illusion and that my choice of that parking space was very much predetermined.

Paul Epstein