Topic: Mapping from straight line to straight line
Replies: 11   Last Post: Nov 3, 2013 4:35 PM

Timothy Murphy

Re: Mapping from straight line to straight line

emwong wrote:

> I am not sure whether I understand you correctly. Does the proof uses the
> assumption that the map sends parallel lines to parallel lines?

Yes.
When you say that a map T sends straight lines into straight lines,
I take it this means that all the points of l are mapped into
all the points of T(l).
In that case, if T(l) and T(m) meet in P
then P must be on l and m, which therefore are not parallel.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net