Topic: Common Core Textbook and Workbook
Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 23, 2013 5:41 PM

Jennifer Griffin

RE: Common Core Textbook and Workbook

When I explained this to my second grade daughter, I used the idea of counting up to make change. First count up to the nearest ten, then further by tens then any extra ones.
She seemed to enjoy this concept and really understood what she was doing.

Jennifer Griffin
Math Teacher
Stissing Mountain High School
(518) 398-7181 x221

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] on behalf of Dianne Gizowski [GizowskD@dcmoboces.com]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:11 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: Common Core Textbook and Workbook

Agreed! I also think that the counting up and down aspect, as it relates to subtraction like it mentions in the quote, is another strategy to help build the understanding of "the difference." There are different names for counting on by different place values, but they all use the idea of starting at the first number and taking a series of jumps up to the second (on a number line) and tracking the total jumped to find the difference. All of these are to help build better understanding so that they can better apply the standard algorithms when they learn them, as well as a better use of mental strategies.

From: "Roberta M. Eisenberg"
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Date: 11/21/2013 11:31AM
Cc: AMTNYS Elem listserv <nyselmath@mathforum.org<mailto:nyselmath@mat
m.org>>

My first thought was about why the authors of the question used the word ?between?, which would exclude 100 and 220 ? unless that was the intention. I wonder if that is a distinction that a 2nd grader makes given that most adults can?t either.

My next thought was about what ?counting up and down? entails. It doesn?t seem to me to be very specific. Must the counting be with the set of counting numbers (whole numbers) used consecutively starting at some point? In fact, the only problem I see is that Sally counted only up in her fashion. She did use ?ones and tens?.

Bobbi

On Nov 21, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Chung, Donald < dchung@RVCSchools.org<mailto:dchung@RVCSchools.org>> wrote:

I was recently given a problem from a worksheet from engage NY ? on ?counting up and down between 100 and 220 using ones and tens?.

A question on the worksheet was as follows:

Sally did some counting. Look at her work. Explain why you think Sally counted this way. 177,178,179,180,190,200,210,211,212,213,214

Given that this was for a second grader, can someone share with me what the objective(s) was for this question? what is an ?acceptable? response?

Thanks

Don
516-255-8950<tel:516-255-8950>

Spam<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=01KQgvyxa&m=ea4c87b64df2&t=20131121&c=s>
Not spam<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=01KQgvyxa&m=ea4c87b64df2&t=20131121&c=n>
Forget previous vote<http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=01KQgvyxa&m=ea4c87b64df2&t=20131121&c=f>
******************************************************************* * To unsubscribe from this mailing list, email the message * "unsubscribe nyshsmath" to majordomo@mathforum.org<mailto:majordomo@mathforum.org> * * Read prior posts and download attachments from the web archives at * http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumIDg1 *******************************************************************

*