Topic: time and frequency marginals in the wavelet scalogram and energy
Replies: 5   Last Post: Dec 11, 2013 7:24 PM

Derek Goring

Re: time and frequency marginals in the wavelet scalogram and energy

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:54:20 PM UTC+13, palmar wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> I have been looking for some matlab code to compute the time and frequency marginals in the wavelet scalogram.
>

> Moreover I was trying to to verify the so-called total energy condition of the scalogram, basically the energy of the scalogram should match the energy of the signal.
>

> I have done a double integral of the scalogram and the result doesn´t match the energy of the signal, so I should be doing something wrong since the result should be wavelet dependent, and we should take that in account when calculating the energy of the signal.
>

> integral(integral(P(f,t))= sum(norm(s(t)).^2)
>

> P(f,t)= scalogram and s(t) signal
>

> Time marginal:
>
> integral(P(f,t)df=|s(t)|.^2
>
> Frequency marginal
>
> integral(P(f,t)dt=|S(w)|.^2
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

BTW
Why do you use:
integral(integral(P(f,t))= sum(norm(s(t)).^2)
and not
integral(integral(P(f,t))= var(s)
which is Parseval's Law.