Topic: Assorted Grants Available
Replies: 19   Last Post: Jan 12, 2014 3:05 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Assorted Grants Available

I reviewed the Shute book here a while ago?

The Dolciani books were longer because they had a few more topics in them than the Shute book did.

The later books actually have fewer topics than the Dolciani books but are substantially longer because of how they are typeset and they go simply crazy with pictures. Not only does this create a book that is twice as long as need be, it breaks up the text (the story) into scattered bits.

The Shute book is written better than the Dolciani book (modern books aren?t even written).

My ideal Algebra 1 book would have the following topics?

1. What is Algebra? (this is the first chapter the student sees. I would ask Devlin to write this).
2. Variables and Formulas (Introduce the notion of variables using arithmetic formulas)
3. Introduction to Algebraic Notation (how we denote multiplication and division in algebra, exponents)
4. Numbers (a closer look at the number line, integers, signed, zero, fractions, decimal, rational, and a mention of irrational and real numbers)
5. Linear Equations and Graphing (also the notion of mapping)
6. Polynomials (the conventions of polynomials and polynomial arithmetic)
7. Rational Expressions and Proportion
8. Radicals and Roots
9. Quadratics (2 variables, conic sections for fun)

Interspersed are some chapters devoted to application and solving at a algebra 1 level.

5a - Applications of Linear Expressions
6a - Applications of Polynomial Arithmetic
7a - Applications of Rational Expressions
8a - Applications of Radicals and Roots

The quadratics section will be less rigorous than in Algebra 2 and is meant as an introduction.

Bob Hansen