Topic: Question on a function with changing sign
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 20, 2014 9:25 AM

dpb

Re: Question on a function with changing sign

On 1/19/2014 10:45 PM, Allen wrote:
> I am a newbie on MATLAB and start learning it now. I was told that it
> takes less time on using vector operation than loops. Here is my function,
> zi = (-1)^i * x^2
> I can do the following:
> z = x.^2 but I am wondering how to do this to get the (-1)^i without
> using a loop.
> (for using a loop, that would be easy but I want to try something new.)

You _can_, of course, use the exponential operator there, too, but it's
also not very efficient/optimal as is I presume the reason for the post.

Several alternative ways -- the loop _may_ not be so bad a solution,
however, if you are only building a sum, say, and don't need the
intermediate terms. But, that aside, easiest is to start with ':' --

ix=ones(N,1); % for some N
ix(1:2:end)=-1; % negate alternates

or, slightly different is repmat --

ix=repmat([-1 1],1,N/2); % repeat the alternate for N total length

Many variations upon a theme are possible...