Topic: Default value in pattern matching
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 24, 2014 4:07 AM

Yi Wang

Re: Default value in pattern matching

Hi, Larry,

Thanks a lot for your reply! This works for this example, but not exactly in the way I wanted. Because eventually my purpose is not using myPlus to re-implement Plus. But instead I would need myPlus to be some other functions.

With your code, when tracing the evaluation, we have

Trace[a /. {a + myPlus[b_.] -> "matched"}]

{{{{{myPlus[b_.], b_.}, a + (b_.)}, a + (b_.) -> matched, a + (b_.) -> \
matched}, {a + (b_.) -> matched}}, a /. {a + (b_.) -> matched}, \
matched}

Thus first a + myPlus[b_.] is transformed into a+b_., and then comes the "magic" of default value in Plus (which is exactly the thing I want to understand).

If we use HoldPattern, then the above no longer match:

a /. {a + HoldPattern[myPlus[b_.]] -> "matched"}

Out[] = a

To compare, the default value of Plus itself works even for HoldPattern:

a /. {a + HoldPattern[b_.] -> "matched"}

Out[] = "matched"

Best,
Yi