Topic: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Replies: 41   Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 7:48 PM

Dan Christensen

Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:08:29 PM UTC-5, Peter Percival wrote:
> Dan Christensen wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:22:28 PM UTC-5, Peter Percival wrote:
>

> > I don't know why you keep going on about this, Peter. Even under the
>
> > original definition, you had "junk theorems" in ZF like 2 being an
>
> > element of 3. In this regard, you can't rescue ZF with this misplaced
>
> > nostalgia for long disguarded definitions.
>

> Why do you call it a junk theorem?

It has nothing to do with the common intuition of the natural numbers. Numbers aren't elements of one another. It is nothing more than an artifact of a wonky definition. You couldn't prove it from the widely accepted Peano axioms.

Dan
Visit my new math blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com

Date Subject Author
2/1/14
Read An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Dan Christensen
2/1/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Peter Percival
[...]
2/4/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Peter Percival
2/1/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Dan Christensen
2/2/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/3/14
[...]
2/8/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/1/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
THE COLONEL
2/1/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Dan Christensen
2/3/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Joon Gibson
2/4/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Dan Christensen
2/2/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity?
Dan Christensen
2/3/14
Read Re: An alternative Axiom of Infinity? FORMAL PROOF
Dan Christensen