Topic: A Philosophical Thought About Time
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 2, 2014 6:35 PM

Tom Potter

Re: A Philosophical Thought About Time

"Michael Strickland" <michael0658@comcast.net> wrote in message
On Monday, February 24, 2014 8:16:40 PM UTC-5, David Elkins wrote:

>> Here is my Hypothesis. For Time to begin, would that not mean going from
>> A to B, from No

>Time to Time? Is not the process of A to B change? Is not change Time? If
>all change is
>apart of Time, then is not A to B apart of Time also? What do you thinK?
>
>I'm not sure its valid to say going from no time to time is the same as
>going from A to B.
>The first implies going from something's non-existence to its existence.
>The second (A to
>B) is not the same type of transition. It seems to imply going from item A
>to item B when
>both item A and item B currently exist.

Here's my take on this.

1. Things exist.

2. Things interact.

3. Interactions create sets of more complex system "things",
such as physical systems, vegetables, animals and sentient beings.

4. Interactions also cause more complex system "things"
to break up into less complex system "things",
and into "atomic" things.

5. Some things interact in an OSCILLATING way
as demonstrated by Conway's "life" program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

6. Sentient beings, animals that have
evolved memories and "correlators" [Hippocampus],
observe things and "correlate" evolving and oscillating systems.

7. Earthlings use the most convenient oscillating and changing systems
as their time bases for "timing" intervals and periods,
periods being times associated with a single body,
and intervals as times associated with two bodies.

8. Groups of Earthlings use some common "oscillating system"
as their time base for "timing" intervals and periods,
and this is called their "time standard".

9. In order to synchronize "times" between sets of individuals and groups
over long "time" intervals, Earthlings set up "zero time" points
based on auspicious events such as high noon, full moon,
Solstice, celestial events, an Olympic, the reign of a king, etc.

10. Physicists make an effort to establish a "zero time" by using
some pet theory to extrapolate the static and dynamic qualities of SOME
"things" they can measure
back to an initial condition.

The bottom line is that
time is NOT change,
selected changes are used to form the concept and measure of time.

--
Tom Potter
https://tdp1001.wiki.zoho.com/