Topic: What's in an expression?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 15, 2014 3:54 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: What's in an expression?

State-of-the-art on-line homework systems eliminate most, if not all, of
the type (b) difficulties: they allow the student to type an answer in
essentially the same form they would write it on paper. The system then
transforms the input into a standard form meeting a strict syntax. That
syntax may be that of Mathematica, or another "computer algebra system",
which can then use various means to compare the student's answer with a
"correct" answer (and that "correct" answer will often be calculated
on-the-fly, since the question may well be parametrized or have variant
forms).

So the question does not really have as much a flaw as might be
imagined. It all depends on whether the student is being exposed
directly to using Mathematica syntax and whether the student has
previously learned, or is contemporaneously learning, Mathematica for
the sake of doing more interesting things than mechanical calculations.