Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

My post dt. Mar 28, 2014 8:35 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2625903) demands some clarification:

> A 'system' is not a 'machine'.
> 'Mind' could also be more than a
> 'system'. We don't know yet much about it('mind').

1. We do know a bit about 'systems', though not enough by any means to enable us to deal *effectively* with the systems we encounter. We do seem to know rather more about 'machines' than we do about 'systems' - and we often persist in trying to deal with systems as though they were machines: usually, this way of dealing with systems will not lead to satisfactory results.

2. Every 'machine' is (generally) part of at least one 'system'. Just as "the map is not the territory", we should be aware that "the machine is NOT the system".

3. The tools we use to analyse/ create/ understand/ deal with 'machines are rarely (probably NEVER) adequate to help us do anything useful with 'systems'.

4. Most human-made 'systems' that we encounter are in a mess, and we do not know enough about systems to rectify their deficiencies whenever we confront them.

5. When we deal with systems, they often seem to behave 'counter-intuitively'. That happens mainly because we do not know how to act on or deal with systems. It really is not very difficult for the stakeholders in a human-made system to improve/enhance the way it functions in real life.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy