Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Domenico Rosa

On 28 Mar 2014, GS Chandy wrote:

> Further my post dt. Mar 28, 2014 7:59 AM
> (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2625901)
> , I've since carefully read through the document you
> (Domenico Rosa) had linked us to: the Introduction to
> "AGAINST THE GALILAEANS", by Wilmer Cave Wright.
>
> I had never seen it before, and it is most
> interesting indeed. However, I do lack the
> background probably needed to comment meaningfully on
> it vis-a-vis your suggestion that "Julian had been
> force-fed the 'orthodox' Christian dogmas and foresaw
> the resulting intolerance and disasters that would
> follow".
>
> The more I read, I find the more I need to read and
> *study*. Alas, I am only able to *study* the merest
> fraction of all that I know I should be doing!

An overview of Emperor Julian is at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_(emperor)

> On entirely another front, I do believe that the
> 'religious praxis' has often been responsible for a
> great deal of intolerance in our societal lives,
> despite that wonderful advice said to have been
> given us by Jesus Christ: "Do thou unto others as
> thou wouldst have others do unto you". This is, I
> strongly believe, the foundation of all successful
> life in human society. You may perhaps be in at
> least partial agreement with me on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule#Christianity

Jesus of Nazareth reformulated the Golden Rule in an active rather than passive way. It is amazing how this advice has been misapplied.