Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Joe Niederberger posted Mar 29, 2014 2:36 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2626093) - GSC's remarks interspersed:
?
> GS Chandy says:
> >Possibly the prime example of great power immorally
> >used by the 'science establishment' was the dropping
> >of the A-bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. (It should
> >be noted that there was little protest at that time
> >against this attack by the 'religious
> >establishment').

> A little closer to our time you may have noticed Pope
> John Paul II lecturing GWB for two hours on the
> evilness of his planned attack against Iraq.
> Meanwhile, Chris Hitchens' was GWBs most fervent
> cheerleader (the cheerleader's cheerleader, I guess.)

I did notice both. Wrote strongly against Christoperh Hitchens - commended John Paul II.

> Have you noticebd the eagerness with which so many
> scientists sell themselves to the military industrial
> complex? Its enough to make your average street
> walker blush. Or do you only want to bash religion?

A: Well, as I understand, it was I that brought up the fact that it was scientists that created the A-bomb - didn't you happen to notice that? I may add that even Einstein did not tell Mr Truman off for his decision to drop the bomb. Doubtless conditions those days were different - but Einstein would have stood much 'taller' in my opinion if he had protested the Truman decision (before, if possible; certainly after the fact).

B: To the best of my understanding, the religious leaders of the time did not, so far as I know, protest against the dropping of the Bomb - or maybe that was just because it was Japanese cities that were being blown up.

Question: In your opinion, is pointing out 'A' and 'B' above counted as 'religion bashing'?

So tell me: when did you ever see me "bash religion only"? Or are you just 'exercising your imagination?

> (Q1 from Joe N): Do you think said scientists have been
> trained to "think for themselves?"
>
> (Q2): Is it only religion that
> dulls the mind so and regiments it?

Are you now further 'exercising you imagination' in your above-noted Q1 and Q2? Do you believe this is an intellectually thrilling exercise for you?

Suggestion: Why don't you check out my posts on these and other such issues and try and find out for yourself the answers to your Q1 and Q2 above?

I'm sure there is enough material right here at Math-teach that should help you draw appropriate and reasonably accurate inferences.

Instead of asking me silly questions like your above Q1 and Q2, why don't you exercise your own mind to get the right answers?

I'm sure you are ENTIRELY capable of doing such an exercise.

I personally believe that doing this kind of 'mental exercise' ('thought experiments') would benefit you much more than my answering those questions. Of course, it would take a little intellectual work, it won't be just feeding on ready-mixed and pre-digested pap.

(FYI: "pap": soft food for infants or invalids, as bread soaked in water or milk. 2. an idea, talk, book, or the like, lacking substance or real value).

GSC