Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Further my post dt. Mar 29, 2014 11:40 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2626226), the last paragraph could be improved as suggested below:

<snip>

> Effective modeling tools are readily available to
> enable study via modeling of the "CONTRIBUTION"
> relationship in systems. Tools to enable study via
> modeling of the "IMPLICATION " relationship are not
> readily available.

Instead, a slight change of wording (and some amplification), as suggested in the paragaphs below:

Effective modeling tools are readily available to
enable study via modeling of the system using the "CONTRIBUTION" relationship. The modeling tools are 'Interpretive Structural Modeling' (ISM) and 'Field Representation' (FR) Method, both invented by the late John N. Warfield.

ISM helps clarify the systems for most transitive system relationships - but is not much help with system modeling using the "IMPLICATION" relationship (see Note below). The FR Method is most useful to help study of how elements in complex systems are perceived to 'cluster' with one another.

It has been found that the study of any system is best done through an intensive study of how the "CONTRIBUTION" relationship functions within it (along with the 'negatives', i.e., "HINDERS" and "PREVENTS"). There are a considerable number of transitive system relationships that are important - and ISM helps significantly with modeling all of them except for "IMPLICATION".

The 'management sciences' have long made the serious error of studying only the "PRECEDENCE" relationship in systems via what is commonly known as 'Project Management Software' - without first enabling the understanding of the "CONTRIBUTION" relationship. Due to this serious error, the 'management sciences' have failed to develop to be adequate to promote understanding of either 'management' or 'systems'.

The FR Method is most useful to help understand systems 'in the large', in particular when we wish to study any systems via the behaviour of either transitive and non-transitive relationhip in those systems. FR is most useful when we're dealing with very large numbers of .system elements'.

Information about Warfield's work is available at http://www.jnwarfield.com and at the "John N. Warfield Collection" held at the library of George Mason University (Fairfax, VA-USA) - see http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaxtf/view?docId=gmu/vifgm00008.xml

The 'One Page Management System' (OPMS)
========================
The 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) is a useful aid to problem solving and decision making based on Warfield's seminal contributions to systems science. The OPMS is an instance of a 'higher-order' Field Relationship, which contains both 'elements' and 'system models' within it.

In brief, the OPMS enables individual and group users to choose any 'Mission' and to develop - from available ideas - an effective Action Plan to help accomplish the Mission.

Brief information about OPMS (and some of its applications, both successful and unsuccessful) is available at the attachments to the post heading the thread "Democracy: how to achieve it?" - see http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536.

A website devoted to OPMS and its applications is expected to be launched during 2014. (Both successful and unsuccessful applications will be treated at this website, as GSC [the inventor of the OPMS] believes that an unsuccessful application of a tool could teach us almost as much as a successful application).

Until the OPMS website is up and running, the prototype OPMS software and a fair bit of information about OPMS is held at the YahooGroup, "Towards Democracy". (Free) Membership in this group enables free download of the prototype OPMS software and provides free guidance to help apply OPMS to any Missions of current interest.

Special Note on "IMPLICATION" relationship:
Tools to enable study via modeling of a system using the "IMPLICATION" relationship are not readily available.

"TO IMPLY" is a most important relationship in complex humanmade systems, in particular 'idea systems', 'thought systems' and the like. While ISM and FR referred above are useful to an extent, it has been felt by users that a new and different modeling tool would help improve our understanding of "IMPLICATION" in complex systems.

It is believed that the "IMPLICATION" relationship would be *effectively* understood only after the learner has arrived at an adequate understanding of the behaviour of the "CONTRIBUTION" relationship in the system under study.

In fact, *effective* understanding of "CONTRIBUTES" within any complex system would help, very significantly, with the *effective* understanding of ALL other relationships in the specified system.

GSC