Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 10, 2014 11:18 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Apr 10, 2014 7:24 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9431962): - GSC's remarks interspersed:

> On Apr 10, 2014, at 12:05 AM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Each single US citizen (man, woman and child) -
> >some 350 million of you at last count I understand -
> > consumes more than 26 Indians.

> In your opinion, why is a country like India
> struggling so much with poverty and consumption?

There are experts who've written whole books about it. A couple of fact are clear:

BEFORE the British (and other Western traders) arrived on the scene, India was one of the richest nations in the world, creating and owning, it is said, something like 20% of the world's gross product.

(And that is precisely they came here to trade. Later on, there were plenty of traders from the US of A as well who also deservedly made their fortunes. I note that several of the US traders and others were pretty supportive of India's struggles for freedom from the British). Anyway, to revert:

WHEN finally the British left us ("granted us our independence", as the phrase goes), India was the world's basket case (with less than 5% of the world's gross product). Does that answer some part at least of your "why?" ???

Things have changed a bit since then.

Here, for your interest, are links to a couple of relevant books/documents that may help you begin to understand if you have a desire to do so:

- -- "India and the West", Barbara Ward (http://www.questia.com/library/104833514/india-and-the-west - available free online);
- -- "Ruin of India by British Rule", Henry Marcus Hyndman (http://www.marxists.org/archive/hyndman/1907/ruin-india.htm);
- -- "Drain of Wealth during British Raj", B Shantanu (http://www.ivarta.com/columns/OL_060206.htm);

(There is plenty more available - I see something like 700,000 links, many of which would I'm sure be relevant - but I'm pretty sure you will not read either those or the ones I've put up above, to judge by your past performance right here at Math-teach, with reference to other links provided for your edification and possible education).

> Do you think the people as a whole can ever achieve the
> ?american dream? at their current population levels?
>
> Bob Hansen

No, Mr Hansen.

The Indian people as a whole can NEVER achieve what you term as the "American Dream" (at current or any population level).

Nor would I wish that on them. You are quite unlikely to understand why I hold that sentiment, so I shall state only that it has to do with the fact that I'm aware that we (humans) "ARE NOT THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!".

I trust the above answers your questions, to the extent possible. There is much more worth discussing on the above-noted issue(s), but effective discussion on such issues is not possible in the pure prose mode to which we are limited here. Also, it would demand some learning and 'unlearning' on your part, which appear to be impossible.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy