Topic: Linear Algebra Question
Replies: 28   Last Post: Apr 25, 2014 6:10 AM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Linear Algebra Question

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 04:38:54 -0400, quasi <quasi@null.set> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>>
>>Are there pedagogical lessons to be learned from the fact that
>>none of your students pointed this out?

>Perhaps the students intuitively understood the likely intent
>of the question, and thus were fairly sure that identifying the
>empty set as the only exception was not really what the question
>was all about.

With some classes yes. With the classes I'm talking about no,
definitely not. Thiis is a context where almost none of the
students can give a coherent proof that the nullspace of
a matrix is a subspace of R^n. Or where I ask for the
definition of "basis" _literally_ five weeks in a row,
pointing out after each quiz that the answer is
"indepedent spanning set", and a quarter of the
class is still getting it wrong after five tries...

>quasi

Date Subject Author
4/13/14
Read Linear Algebra Question