Topic: Cute question about polynomials
Replies: 63   Last Post: Apr 29, 2014 8:15 AM

David Petry

Re: Cute question about polynomials

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> david petry wrote:

> > On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:33:03 PM UTC-7, Math Lover wrote:

> >> Find a polynomial p(x,y) with real coefficients, such
> >> that as x,y range over all the real numbers, the set
> >> of values p(x,y) covers the entire interval (0,infinity}

> > I believe this to be true: this was a Putnam exam problem one
> > year, and *nobody* got the answer!

> Perhaps nobody understood the question.
> What exactly does "cover" mean here?

Just to be sure, although I don't remember exactly how it was
worded on the Putnam exam, there was nothing unclear about it.

Date Subject Author
4/23/14
Read Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
William Elliot
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Jim Burns
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Roland Franzius
Pfsszxt@aol.com
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
ArtflDodgr
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Richard Tobin
4/27/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/27/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/27/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Leon Aigret
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Bart Goddard
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/29/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Leon Aigret
4/29/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Roland Franzius
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
David Petry
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Timothy Murphy
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Jim Burns
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/26/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
David Petry
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Virgil
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Virgil
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Pubkeybreaker
4/25/14