Topic: WM's posts and academic course review
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 2, 2014 7:52 AM

Roland Franzius

Re: WM's posts and academic course review

Am 01.06.2014 12:43, schrieb Ben Bacarisse:
> Roland Franzius <roland.franzius@uos.de> writes:
>

>> Am 01.06.2014 00:21, schrieb Ben Bacarisse:
>>>
>>> In the UK there is a system of external examiners whose role it is to
>>> ensure that courses are of a suitable standard, and that assessments are
>>> fair and comparable between institutions. Does anyone here know what
>>> happens in Germany?

>> We had such a system in the Kaiser and Nazi eras. France and England
>> are still central states where the last word over th style of teaching
>> mathematics is a matter of the political establishment in principle.

> There's nothing central about it in England. The external examiner does
> not decide anything (it's an advisory role) and they are chosen
> separately by each university department. I can't see how there could
> be any central control at all.

I said in principle.

Since there are no constitutional bounds Marget Thatcher once managed to
force people to quit their jobs at univerities by transferring them to
London without giving them the money they would need there to make a
living.

That is a possibility of the unbounded sway, the french president or the
UK prime minister has, at least in principle.

In reality, under normal circumstances the universities are relatively
autonomous, but in both countries the universities and the scientific
communities are classical hierarchies, much more than in Germany with
its federal system and its democratisation of the university system in
the 1970ties.

But even in Germany there exist bounds of freedom of speech and science
if a catholic university theologician challenges the rule of the holy
see. See the case Hans Küng in Tübingen.

--

Roland Franzius