Topic: PCT output data transfer
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 25, 2014 12:19 PM

Edric Ellis

Re: PCT output data transfer

"Sujit Das" <SujitRDas@gmail.com> writes:

> Interesting. Yes, we are using PARFOR in our application. The size of
> result set that each worker (Linux) needs to return to client (Wintel
> or Linux) could be as large as 1 to 2 GB. How does the worker return
> this result set (which are in-memory Matlab variables) to client? Is
> the transfer taking place directly from worker memory to client memory
> (RMI??) without ever hitting the file or disk I/O unlike what happens
> in the batch jobs?

Yes, when results are returned from a PARFOR loop, a type of RMI is used
to transfer the data from the workers back to the client, no on-disk
storage is used. However, note that there is some overhead to doing this
- the MATLAB data needs to be turned into a serialized form for
transmission - this is part of the same process that happens when
variables are saved to disk, so if for example you were transmitting an
object with a very slow SAVEOBJ, then you'd see that slowness.

Cheers,

Edric.