The Math Forum

Topic: When has countability been separted from listability?
Replies: 22   Last Post: Oct 8, 2017 6:09 AM

FromTheRafters

Re: When has countability been separted from listability?

WM has brought this to us :
> Am Dienstag, 3. Oktober 2017 14:04:11 UTC+2 schrieb FromTheRafters:

>>> sequence = list. If you need more information tell me what words you can
>>> comprehend.

>> Mathematicians already have a word for sequence, it is "sequence" and
>> is spelled S-E-Q-U-E-N-C-E. There's no need to invent other words for
>> things which already have a word to denote them.

> There is no need but it is comfortable to speak about a list of sequences. A
> sequence of sequences can easily lead to misunderstanding. Clarity is
> important.
>
> Regards, WM

I guess I can accept that. To me though, one can have a list of things
(like faculty members) and it is the same list whether ordered by their
telephone number, height, or salary, or first by salary and then by
height (if salaries happen to be the same) or some other factor. As a
sequence, the order matters. The same list (names of teachers in some
perhaps random order) can have different orderings (a permutation
perhaps) and still be the list of teachers, but a sequence with a
different order is a different sequence.

I see that mathematicians have this as a matter of opinion, and the two
are used interchangeably. Nobody said I had to like it, so I won't
dwell on it.

Date Subject Author
9/30/17
Read When has countability been separted from listability?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/30/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
bassam king karzeddin
10/1/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
ArtflDodgr
10/2/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
ArtflDodgr
10/3/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
10/3/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
FromTheRafters
10/5/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
10/5/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
FromTheRafters
10/3/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
ArtflDodgr
10/5/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
10/5/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
ArtflDodgr
10/2/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
Alan Smaill
10/3/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
10/3/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
rebatchelor2@gmail.com
10/3/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
bursejan@gmail.com
10/3/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
rebatchelor2@gmail.com
10/5/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
Markus Klyver
10/6/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
10/6/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
Markus Klyver
10/6/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
10/7/17
Read Re: When has countability been separted from listability?
Markus Klyver
10/8/17