The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

Jim Burns

= 0.333...

On 10/5/2017 10:00 AM, netzweltler wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Oktober 2017 15:22:35 UTC+2
> schrieb Jim Burns:

[...]
>> _We don't do what you're describing_
>
> Nevertheless,

"Nevertheless"?
Do you agree that what you're describing is not what we're doing?

> the process
> 0 |-> write 0.9
> 1 |-> append another 9 (to the 0.9 already written)
> 2 |-> append another 9 (to the 0.99 already written)
> results in 0.999...
>
> Whereas the process you specified earlier
> 0 |-> 0.9
> 1 |-> 0.99
> 2 |-> 0.999
> is nothing else but an infinite list of terminating decimals.

Right. Nothing else but an infinite list of terminating decimals,
which presents no problem, right?

And we (meaning _we_ whether or not you include yourself)
assign the value of the least upper bound of that list
to the non-terminating decimal 0.999...

I'm guessing you don't have a problem with the LUB either,
because you talk about other things instead.
_But this is what we do_

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest