The Math Forum

Topic: Re: 0 = 1
Replies: 20   Last Post: Oct 5, 2017 3:03 PM

FromTheRafters

Re: 0 = 1

Ross A. Finlayson explained on 10/5/2017 :
> On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 7:59:00 PM UTC-7, FromTheRafters wrote:
>> Conway pretended :

>>> Ross
>>>
>>> I feel your post makes my point. I do not say this sarcastically or
>>> rudely....as you say
>>>

>>> "there MUST be ROOM for them all......"
>>>
>>> you however say...therefore this means numbers have NO space
>>>
>>> I however say... this means space and value are "interchangeable"...or
>>> "relative"
>>>

>>> "if it ain't broke don't fix it"...I agree
>>>
>>> but this does NOT mean
>>>
>>> "if it ain't broke don't improve upon it"
>>>
>>> there is always room for improvement
>>>
>>> as you say
>>>
>>> this all might seem pointless now...but later.....

>> I'm not Ross, I was replying to Ross. I agree with Ross about you not
>> being discouraged in your explorations just because of a lack of
>> constructive criticism.

> This is Ross.

Hello Ross. This is who you replied to, and I have no such system being
as I am comfortable with the systems we already have. Perhaps you meant
to reply to Conway? He is the one with the duality of zero thing where
zero's value can be chosen from amongst [1:0] to avoid a problem with
denominators.

> I'd carry on with your alternating systems about numbers
> then where you can define a notation to reflect the results,
> about later having something like "equals"
> having been overloaded or "0 not equals 1".

Choosing a numerical value of one for zero when it is in a denominator
only makes more trouble IMO. A value infinitesimally short of infinity
suddenly becomes one. If you started with 1/epsilon when epsilon is
'close' to zero (very big number) and gets switched to a one if the
epsilon disappears (becomes actually zero) big discontinuity at the
point of switching.

Better would be to take hints from the neighborhood around zero like
the current standard system does with limits.

> So when you describe these value spaces and comment on
> their properties it's pretty much always with a rather
> limited, direct, expressive, and correct name and notation
> in "mathematics" that it already has all its names just
> from what it is.

Something is lost in translation here.

> That's not to say that anybody's paying attention,
> even though they might and have constructive criticism
> (or often and usually references to existing work).
>
> Anyways the structures have all their content then
> for example 0 to 1 etcetera.
>
> It's how they do not that they don't, then for where
> your definitions are sound when they fit with all your
> other definitions.

Yeah, you completely lost me there.

Anyway, I'm sure Conway will read your post despite it being a reply to
me.