Topic: Slide Rules Wanted
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 1, 1999 6:00 PM

John F Harper

Re: Slide Rules Wanted

In article <7bdsgr$maq$1@cougar.golden.net>,
<jrlatala@shell.golden.net> wrote:
>Paul Hughett (hughett@chaplin.med.upenn.edu) wrote:
>
>One of my slide rules, for which I haven't had the manual for years, has
>an odd index mark on it. It's labelled with an uppercase 'C' and is
>located at 1.125 (or there about).
>
>I played around trying to figure out what it was for but nothing made any
>sense.

C = sqrt(4/pi) = 1.128379... (not calculated with a slide rule!);

If A is the area of a circle of diameter d, then d = C*sqrt(A) and
A = (d/C)^2.

John Harper, School of Mathematical and Computing Sciences,
Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand
e-mail john.harper@vuw.ac.nz phone (+64)(4)463 5341 fax (+64)(4)463 5045