Topic: Hardy and the sinking ship.
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 28, 1998 7:43 PM

Gerry Myerson

Re: Hardy and the sinking ship.

In article <6d4ub5$dcu@chile.earthlink.net>, "Bruce Schechter"
<bruce@bookbuzz.com> wrote:

> I vaguely recall reading once that Hardy once found himself on board a
> sinking ship and, fearful for his life, radioed to shore that he found a
> proof of the Riemann hypothesis. Is this a true story? Can anyone give me a
> reference to check it?

I think the story was that Hardy was about to embark on a long voyage
and sent a postcard to a colleague claiming a proof of RH. Hardy's theory
was that this would protect him from accidental death, as God would not
give him the satisfaction of dying knowing that people thought he had
a proof of RH.

Gerry Myerson (gerry@mpce.mq.edu.au)