Topic: Geometry
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 22, 2003 2:23 PM

F. Alexander Norman

Re: Geometry

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Joyce wrote:

> 1. On a math quiz, i was asked what is the least acceptable
> measurement for the sides of a triangle?

Parsecs? nanometers? 73? I don't know how you can answer this question.

> That is, lets say the house i
> am building is shaped in the shape of a triangle. I need to get the
> measurements of the triangle to ensure that all sides are even.

Do you mean "even" as in 2,4,6, or as a whole number ... or as in equal?

If the latter,

> what would be considered acceptable measurements of the triangle.

is a completely subjective question. This, I presume, was meant to be a
practical problem...yet requires a response that measures, in some sense,
not the sides of the triangle but rather how obsessively perfectionist (or
blithely not) the responder is.( And, furthermore, might well be dependent
on the size of the house, as well.)

On the other hand, if you're looking for a unit of measure that will
ensure that the measurement of the side lengths are all reported as
integers, the question reduces again to how precise you want to be (or how
tolerant of deviation you're willing to be).

Regardless, I don't have much tolerance for such mal-formed questions.

> 2. Is there a vertex point to a triangle? If so, at which side of the
> triangle is the vertex located?

For the triangle ABC whose sides are segments AB, BC, CA there are three
vertices A, B, and C. Each one is located on two sides, e.g. vertex A is
located on side AB and side AC. Similarly for vertices B and C.

Good luck, Joyce!

Sandy

Date Subject Author
11/21/03